At St Andrew’s College we pride ourselves on instilling skills and values, which will help our students to become the business and community leaders of tomorrow. We provide many opportunities for them to develop and demonstrate leadership qualities in the Preparatory School.
Examples include prefect, sacristan, librarian, sports captain, house captain, road patrol leader, science monitor and many more minor in-class responsibilities.
Our comprehensive co-curricular programme is one of many contexts in which Preparatory School students demonstrate and hone their leadership skills.
They are encouraged to assume leadership of sports teams or cultural groups and take responsibility for bringing the best out in their peers. Motivation, organisation, communication and resilience are some of the essential skills taught.
Although individual strengths and abilities may vary, most experts agree that outstanding leaders tend to view the world in similar ways. A solid set of values is particularly important, as is a commitment to high ethical standards.
The most commonly observed qualities in outstanding leaders include:
- LEADING BY EXAMPLE - Serving as an example for others; not being afraid or unwilling to do the tasks everyone else is being asked to do.
- VISION – Providing a sense of direction for others; being able to think outside the box.
- STRONG COMMUNICATION SKILLS – Listening and considering as well as speaking.
- TRUSTWORTHINESS – Behaving in a consistent, highly ethical, and fair manner; being honest at all times.
- CALMNESS – Staying cool under pressure, especially when things go wrong.
- OPEN MINDEDNESS – Inviting constructive dissent or disagreements in order to critically evaluate what the team is doing.
- PROFESSIONALISM – Being respectable both at school and in their private lives.
- CLEAR THINKING – Simplifying things to maximise understanding and minimise confusion.
- NURTURING – Showing respect for all people, their opinions and their capacity to achieve important results.
- SUPPORTING OTHERS – Helping others build on their strengths and showing appreciation for what they have done.
For further information
For further information please contact the College Registrar, Lynn Smith on firstname.lastname@example.org or +64 3 940 2016.